It has been consistently getting colder and colder here, and it’s now reached the point where some buses have been cancelled because of snow (and everyone in Toronto has forgotten how to drive when a flake hits the ground….*sigh*). Winter is upon us, and it’s ok…we knew it was coming. It’s not like we live in Bermuda. But some mornings, you want oatmeal but you also don’t want oatmeal…you secretly want dessert. But you don’t want dessert because you don’t want to feel bad about eating dessert for breakfast because…breakfast is important… but no…you really just want warm dessert. It’s cold. You had to get up because you don’t get snow days…and so this is your reward. Lovely chocolate banana bread oatmeal! And gloriously without the white sugar and bleached flour. (Celebratory dessert-breakfast dance).
It goes together in one pot (essential) and has the staying power you need to wrestle your shovels, rock salt and sand out of the garage and dig your way to freedom out of the driveway. Full of flax, banana and sweet fruit, it tastes like dessert, but is really really good all on its own.
Chilly Morning Chocolate Banana Bread Oatmeal
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
- 1 medium Banana
- 1 tsp non-dairy Margarine
- 2 tsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Flax meal
- 1/3 C Rolled Oats
- Pinch salt
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup/Honey
- 1 C Unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used soy).
- Golden raisins, sliced strawberries and honey for topping and a splash of extra soy milk.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the non-dairy margarine. Stir in the sliced or mashed banana (your choice), and saute until warmed through, stirring often.
- Add in cocoa powder, flax meal, oats and salt and stir thoroughly.
- Add remainder of ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Simmer for 8 minutes, until the oats are cooked fully and the non-dairy milk has been absorbed.
- Serve with suggested toppings, or whatever you like best.
Still need holiday gift ideas? Give the gift of health! Our office still has some Christmas Gift Certificates left, and they can be customized to any budget!
Latest posts by Lindsay (see all)
- The time I achieved my (vegan) butter tart goals! (Encouraging Recovery Update) - March 18, 2016
- The time I walked forever…in a blizzard…with a cane. (A story of overcoming and kind GO Transit riders) - March 4, 2016
- The time I wanted to quit the gym (Recovery Update and Encouraging Bunny update) - February 26, 2016