I love this time of year because it means apples upon apples upon apples are in the store! And what’s better, there’s no end of good things that you can make with them! (Outside of just eating them out of hand; which is a completely acceptable way of eating them too). Some apple dishes require certain apples to be their star, based on texture or how well they hold together, etc. But, this little gem of an apple dish doesn’t discriminate. You can just use any lovely apple you have ready at hand, and it will fit the bill.
I love baking apples with different toppings in the oven, but sometimes, you know, on those nights when you don’t have 15 people coming to help you eat that whopping big pan of apple crisp, you need something more manageable. I’ve got just the thing for those cooler nights! (I bet you could even make this in the toaster oven if you were feeling adventurous).
This sweet little pan of apples will let your heart sing without clogging your arteries or making you feel less-than-great because of sneaky hidden white sugar. I think it’s completely unfair to put a few pieces of fruit into something and then sneaking in half a cup of cruddy ingredients behind it. If you’re going to eat all the weird chemicals, don’t try to cover it up with innocent fruit!
Cozy Crisp Spiced Apple Bake for Two
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
- 1 1/2 apples (cored and sliced)
- 1 tsp liquid honey
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 handful golden raisins
- 3-4 tbsp margarine/Earth Balance
- Pinch each: ginger, nutmeg and allspice
- 1/3 C rolled oats
- 1/3 C gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Wash, core and slice the apples and put them into a little dish (mine was a quart size)
- Drizzle the apples with the honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Mix together the remainder of the ingredients and crumble it over the top of the apples.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20-30 minutes until a fork will easily pierce the apples.
Serve on its own or with some extra maple syrup, or even a scoop or some dairy-free frozen dessert. (We had ours with Neapolitan soy ice cream…the best!)
Hope you’re all having a great week, and are settling into your routines!
Keep an eye out for some public bookings in the future! I’ll announce it once it’s confirmed, but I hope you’ll all be able to come and see us!
Latest posts by Lindsay (see all)
- The time I achieved my (vegan) butter tart goals! (Encouraging Recovery Update) - March 18, 2016
- The time I walked forever…in a blizzard…with a cane. (A story of overcoming and kind GO Transit riders) - March 4, 2016
- The time I wanted to quit the gym (Recovery Update and Encouraging Bunny update) - February 26, 2016