Hummus is always a great staple, especially for lunches and take-along snacks. It’s full of protein, and fills you up. On Wednesdays I’ve been trying to share a few different food ideas for while completing the 30-Day Candida Cleanse. Hummus is always a big part of this cleanse for me, and there are so many ways to adjust it to accommodate the different requirements that today, I’m sharing two variations.
Both of these versions require very little preparation, but you’ll be impressed about how much better they taste than the versions that are available pre-made. Don’t miss out on a great opportunity to try something at home! (I’m always surprised at what turns out when I try to make it at home. Food is food. Everyone had a first time trying to make it, and it’s definitely achievable).
Tip of the Day: To tell if your avocado is ripe enough, don’t squish it! Just flick off the little stem at the top and look at the fruit underneath. If the stem comes off easily, the fruit is ripe. You can gauge how ripe based on how the fruit appears underneath.
Creamy Spiced Avocado Hummus
Prep time: 5 minutes
Makes: approx. 2 cups.
(Note: For use during the last 20 days of the Candida Cleanse, if applicable).
- 1 can (19 fl oz) chick peas (drained and rinsed). (I only use ones packed in water, with no added preservatives or salt).
- 1 medium avocado, ripe. (Pit and skin discarded).
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp olive oil (+ additional for drizzling)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (Or to taste).
- 1/8 tsp crushed coriander
- In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients and process on high-speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn the processor off, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, and process again, slowly drizzling additional olive oil until all of the ingredients come together and process easily. (Be cautious to not add too much oil). Process until all of the ingredients are smooth.
- Serve sprinkled with chili powder and salt and pepper, to taste. It can be served with vegetable slices, grilled meat, in sandwiches, or with pita slices.
Warm Toasted Garlic Hummus
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Makes: Approx. 2 cups.
- 1 can (19 fl oz) chick peas (drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 C tahini
- 1/2 tsp grape seed oil *
- 1 tbsp olive oil (plus additional for drizzling)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper *
- 1/4 tsp cumin *
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice *
(To accommodate the first days of the Candida cleanse, omit any ingredient with and ” * ” beside it. For the grape-seed oil, just use additional olive oil).
- Peel and slice the garlic thinly.
- In a small saucepan, heat the grape-seed oil over medium heat, and then brown the garlic along with the salt, pepper and cumin until the garlic is golden brown and very fragrant. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the chick peas, tahini, olive oil, and lemon juice and puree until smooth. (1-2 minutes).
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in the toasted garlic mixture. Process on high-speed for 1 minute. At this point, you may need to scrape down the sides again. On high-speed, drizzle in small amounts of olive oil until the mixture becomes very smooth and creamy. (Be careful not to incorporate too much oil).
- If served straight away, the hummus will still be a little warm from the toasted garlic. It can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and is very good served either hot or cold. Serve with vegetables, kefta, corn chips or pita slices.
I hope that you enjoy these recipes as much as I do! Remember to like and share these recipes, and leave me a comment below about your favorite kind of hummus! If you gave these recipes a try, let me know on Twitter or the Facebook page! I’d love to hear from you!
Have more questions, or need to book an appointment? Please contact me. I’d enjoy hearing from you!
Take care and I’ll see you again on Friday!
Latest posts by Lindsay (see all)
- The time I achieved my (vegan) butter tart goals! (Encouraging Recovery Update) - March 18, 2016
- The time I walked forever…in a blizzard…with a cane. (A story of overcoming and kind GO Transit riders) - March 4, 2016
- The time I wanted to quit the gym (Recovery Update and Encouraging Bunny update) - February 26, 2016